Hot on the heels of a recent Royal-infused wedding, Veranda details why Jamaica’s Round Hill resort is so special.
The tropical Montego Bay space certainly has a rich history, making it ground zero for the jet-set crowd over the years. What’s not to love? We’re talking ocean-view private villas, private pools and a dedicated staff of three — a chef, housekeeper and gardener. The compound also features the Caribbean’s only Elemis spa complete with open-air yoga pavilion and al-fresco massage treatments. Beachfront event space is perfect for weddings or special occasion celebrations. Each day an elegant afternoon champagne tea is offered in the Ralph Lauren-designed indoor-outdoor bar.
Amenities aside, it has been a hot spot for both Royals and famed politicians over the years:
– John F. Kennedy honeymooned at Round Hill with Jackie in 1953 and later penned his famous “Ask not what you can do…” speech while poolside.
– HRH Prince Michael of Kent, Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia, and Sir Paul McCartney have graced the exclusive seaside oasis.
Those in entertainment also flock there:
– Not only has Pierce Brosnan vacationed there, but Bond author Ian Fleming was a guest as well — before starting his own resort nearby.
– “The Sound of Music” was penned here after original villa owner Oscar Hammerstein met the real-life Maria von Trapp on site.
– Writer Truman Capote has relaxed poolside as well.
– A-list guests like Lupita Nyong’o, Emma Thompson, Paul Newman and Grace Kelly have all graced the property with their presence.
– Designer Ralph Lauren actually owns two of the 27 cottages on the property, visits often and even designed all 36 charming rooms in the main hotel (known as Pineapple House) — featuring his bedding collection –as well as other areas of the location.
It’s a good place to meet philanthropists too:
Round Hill has been host to many events on the charity circuit including the glamorous Sugarcane Ball — with Anna Wintour, Ralph Lauren, Lauren Bush Lauren, and Vanessa Noel in attendance — which with funds raised benefiting orphanages, schools, health clinics, green areas and educational scholarships. [Veranda]