The old adage, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” may be especially true in the case of fashion. The ever-classic button down shirt has been fine for years just as it is. A closet workhorse, it has served well. But lately, fashionistas have begun tinkering with its overall design — and we aren’t sure why. Too many ruffles (think: Seinfeld’s “puffy shirt”), slashes in material or mismatched buttons on blouses — some costing as much as $650 — are all modifications that have gone too far.
As such, Racked has taken to the web to call out “The Shirts” — a term they use to describe any wonky iteration of a well-tailored blouse.
In case you are confused about what exactly constitutes a “Shirt” as opposed to a normal shirt, Racked has noted some features to look out for:
– The Shirt is asymmetrical.
– The Shirt will make you look as if you’ve been wrapped in a picnic basket. (We suspect this also goes for making you look like a window treatment, table cloth or lampshade)
– The Shirt will make you look like a femme pirate.
– The Shirt is referred to as “shirting” or “luxury shirting”.
– The Shirt will often have an astronomical price tag — ruffles don’t come cheap, after all.
Basically, if donning a pricey cotton top in white, blue or pinstripe ends up making you look utterly ridiculous, sadly you have fallen victim to a case of “The Shirts.” [Racked]