Vaguely reminiscent of the Dakota, this former warehouse at 135 Watts Street has it all: gables, turrets, arched windows and weather vanes. It’s arguably Tribeca’s most elegant former commercial building. Here is what you need to know.
Built in 1891 for the Fleming Smith company, Romanesque Revival building used neo-Flemish touches to harken back to New York’s Dutch colonial roots. Architect Stephen Decatur Hatch — who would go on to design the Princeton Club and the New York Life Building — used granite, sandstone and brick with copper ornamentation to create a whimsical and eye-catching facade, according to Ephemeral NY.
The old warehouse is significant in another way as well: as the the first in Tribeca to be turned into a residence. It was converted at roughly the same time the name “Tribeca” was gaining currency, according to the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission.
There are currently no listings available at the six unit co-op and new listings don’t pop up often. The last apartment to trade in the building was in 2011 for $4.2 million. Prior to that a two-bedroom sold for $2.2 million in 2008. [Ephemeral NY]