Transforming an outdated home can be as simple as renovating the façade. These five renovations via Dwell illustrate how to bring modern details to existing facades.
1. Architects decided to paint the old-fashioned facade gray and cover the box next door in light-colored larch, according to Dwell.
2. Opening up the roof of this old factory building in Toronto created a second-floor courtyard. The front door is hidden into an ivy-covered.
3. Architecture firm SsD added square footage to this Newton, Massachusetts house without sacrificing his home’s lawn, by adding a second floor and roof deck.
4. San Francisco architect couple Andrew Dunbar and Zoee Astrakhan renovated their 1908 Edwardian in the Mission District by adding salvaged double-insulated window glass panels.
5. A Michigan couple renovated this lakeside cottage by building around the twin trunks of a maple tree. [Dwell] – Christopher Cameron