1) Hedge fund billionaire Steve Cohen’s 10,000-square-foot East Hampton mansion apparently just wasn’t to his taste. The financier, whose SAC Capital Advisors was busted for insider trading in 2013, recently tore down the house, at 52 Further Lane, which he bought for $62.5 million that same year.
2) Rich residents of Amagansett are none too pleased by a plan to build an affordable housing complex at 531 Montauk Highway, showing up to complain about “paving paradise” at a public meeting. “It’s not that they don’t want Latinos, it’s that they don’t want poor people.”
3) Lionel Richie will host the hottest concert of the summer on August 20 — the fundraiser for Harlem’s Apollo Theater at Ronald Perelman’s house in East Hampton.
4) Secular and Orthodox Jews are at war with each other over whether or not to erect an Eruv in Westhampton (the Orthodox won the fight in Quogue and Southampton). “As a Reform Jew, I find it extremely offensive to create a distinction that this is a Jewish area,” said one secular Jew.
5) The truck beach trial, in which residents are arguing against those who drive their trucks on a strip of beach in Amagansett, has begun. Everyone waits with bated breath.
6) In sadder news, a construction worker died while working on Barry Rosenstein’s $147 million estate.